Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Ring

A few people that I know have recently got engaged.  The first thing we're made aware of- the ring.

You know the picture that I'm talking about:



I just don't understand jewelry, I guess.  I've never been one to think about huge diamonds, settings, etc.  I don't even think I'm sure I know what a setting is, actually.

All I'm saying, is that someone could propose to me with a ring from a Cracker Jack box, and, lets face it, if it's big enough, and I can eat it, I'm going to LOVE it.



If you think about it, though, what is marriage really about? Or, rather, what do people make marriage about?

First, the RING. (Obviously, right?)
The Dress
The Church.
The Flowers
The Place Settings
The Gifts
The Honey Moon
The House
The Cars
The Baby
The Kids

When does marriage actually become about the person that you've vowed to spend the rest of your life with? It seems like everyone is in such a rush to get married, that once they get engaged, they forget that there are still plenty of things you don't know about each other, there are many more important things than just the wedding,

As far as rings go, I am being completely serious when I say that I don't even know what a setting is.  And I couldn't tell a fake from a real diamond if my life depended on it. I'm not saying that I wouldn't also love a huge diamond, but really, I'd also love a itsy-bitsy one.

The ring that my dad gave to my mom was so tiny.  I think it says a lot, though.  It says a lot about where they were in their lives: young, not very rich, not shallow, just passionate.  Just in love.

Not to say that if you love big jewelry, that you're NOT in love, or that you're shallow.  I just love that ring, so much, and it means a lot to me.

Right now, I just really want a Ring Pop. hint hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment