Thursday, April 19, 2012

Little Boys

Just gave N a bath, and while drying him off, I decided to ask a few questions.

Side Note: I am scared to death by the words penis and vagina. (when it comes to my son knowing them, saying them, or hearing them.) I have refrained from calling any body part by its proper name, or really referring to them at all... I realize that this isn't the right way to go about things, but being a mom to a little boy with little boy parts is intimidating to me.

I have decided, however, to try to get things situated, and teach him some things he might need to know.

I said, "I'm going to talk to you for a minute. I'm going to ask you a question."
N - "okay.."
Me-"Do you know what your privates are called?"
N - "Will you be mad?" (because he thinks it's a bad word....) <---- bad parenting on my part.
Me-"Noooo, just say it."
N - "Pee-pee."

Me-"Yes, buuuuut, there are different words for them, do you know those?"
N - "No."
Me-"uh. Okay then."

( I just could NOT bring myself to say the correct words to him. I literally froze.)

We talked about how boys and girls are different. He asked me why, and I said, "Because that's how we were made- different."
 He replied, "Weeeeeird."

I then talked to him about improper touching, etc. which he does already know, and to always talk to me about things, and I promise that I'll always tell him the truth. (unless the word penis is involved, apparently.) ugh.

So, I guess I'll have to deal with this in another way. I am struggling with what a 5 year old boy NEEDS to know, and what they don't need to know. I personally feel like they don't need to know anything more than what he does know, but I could be wrong. I'm most likely wrong.

I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment