Sunday, April 15, 2012

My 5 Favorite Authors

  1.   Christopher Hitchens
    Christopher Hitchens was an English-American author and journalist.  I love him, because he was controversial, confrontational, and a self-proclaimed antitheist. I have learned a lot from his views on religion, and certain politics. He has negative opinions of some very famous people, who are just worshiped by people. (Mother Theresa!) If you have an open mind, and a logical way of thinking, then, I highly suggest him.


    One of his most famous literary works, is, "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything."

    Excerpt from God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything:

     “Thus, though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.” 

    I have to add this last quote, also from Christopher Hitchens:


    “Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”


  2. V.C. Andrews
V. C. Andrews is the author of many series of books. I believe her most popular is the Dollanganger series, which are:

Flowers in the Attic  (1979)
Petals on the Wind  (1980)
If There Be Thorns  (1981)
Seeds of Yesterday  (1984)
Garden of Shadows  (1987)

There are at least 25 series, written by V.C. Andrews, or her "ghost writer," after she died. 

Excerpt from Flowers in the Attic:
 
"Oh, golly-lolly! This was real! We had to leave, abandon everything! I had to crowd everything into two suitcases my brothers and sister would share as well. My Raggedy Ann doll alone would half fill one suitcase! Yet how could I leave her, my most beloved doll, the one Daddy gave me when I was only three? I sobbed."

Credit: 


3. Sylvia Plath

 My favorite, well okay, the only book of hers that I've read, is, "The Bell Jar." Supposedly, this was an autobiographical novel. Sylvia Plath had attempted suicide multiple times. She was even committed to a mental institution, at one point. 

She was also an amazing poet, and had many, many published works.

Excerpt from The Bell Jar:

 "So I began to think maybe it was true that when you were married and had children it was like being brainwashed, and afterward you went about as numb as a slave in a totalitarian state."

- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar, Chapter 7

Credit:

4. Edgar Allan Poe


Edgar Allan Poe was an American author, and poet. His best known fiction works were generally Gothic and deal with things like decomposition, early burial, the reanimation of the dead, and mourning.


Excerpt from Raven:
"Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word,
Lenore?, This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word,
“Lenore!” Merely this, and nothing more."


5. Suzanne Collins


I HAD to choose her as one of my favorite authors, because she wrote The Hunger Games series, which I am currently reading, and absolutely love. I don't usually give these sort of books a chance, but I heard many good things about it, and they were right on. 

Excerpt from The Hunger Games:

 "Taking the kids from our districts, forcing them to kill one another while we watch – this is the Capitol’s way of reminding us how totally we are at their mercy. How little chance we would stand of surviving another rebellion. Whatever words they use, the real message is clear. “Look how we take your children and sacrifice them and there’s nothing you can do. If you lift a finger, we will destroy every last one of you. Just as we did in District Thirteen.”


I have many, many, many more favorites, and many different books that I have read, and re-read. It's pretty hard to choose, but I think I did alright!








No comments:

Post a Comment